Thursday, January 17, 2008

Lupe Revisited

An 80’s baby and avid music listener …I love hip hop.
Wholeheartedly.

I had quite a bit to say with regard to what has been dubbed ‘Fiascogate’.

Totally disgusted, I’ve likened his forgetting the lyrics to a classic banger like Electric Relaxation to hip hop sacrilege and while I am not …and will never, EVER forgive his appearance on VH1’s Hip Hop Honors…
Lupe Fiasco’s The Cool is that shit!!!

Little Weapon is without a doubt my favorite track on the album. I hadn't heard anything beyond Bishop G's intro and was compelled to restart the track like 6 times before I actually got all the way though. Once I did, I was hooked. Child soldiers, high school shooters, kids with guns and video game violence ...absolutely brilliant.

Now little Terry got a gun he got from the store.
He bought it with the money he got from his chores.
He robbed a candy shop; told her 'Lay down on the floor, put the cookies in the bag, take the pennies out the drawer.'

Lil' Khalil got a gun he got from the rebels to kill the infidels and the American devils.
A bomb on his waist. A mask on his face.
Prays five times a day and listens to heavy metal.

Little Alex got a gun he took from his dad that he snuck in the school is his black book bag.
His black nail polish, black boots, and black hat.
He gon' blow away the bully that just pushed his ass.
Intruder Alert is a masterpiece. Rape, drug abuse and immigration ...Mathew Santos' mellow vocals just reinforce your head nod. He appears several times on the album and never disappoints.

Hip-Hop Saved My Life is another standout. If you're not up on Nikki Jean ...please make yourself familiar immediately. Aside from being absolutely beautiful ...she's got real talent. Check out her YouTube channel here. Also, the free Noveau Riche album (her band) is definitely worth a download and burn.

Fighters, Streets On Fire, The Die, Put You On Game, The Coolest, Dumb It Down and of course Superstar, his current single, are all faves. Together they make for an overall bomb ass album. It will be in heavy rotation at least through summertime ...right along with Graduation, The World Has Made Me The Man of My Dreams, American Gangster and Just Like You.

Watch this Nikki Jean video that was featured on YouTube ...it's actually how I came across her. You can't help but feel her happiness.


bless

3 comments:

hottnikz said...

Agreed, Lupe's album is the shit. This week my jam is Gold Watch. I know it's an overlooked track, but it's got that old school flavor that I'm into.

I've seen this video and it almost brought tears to my eyes to see how happy see was. So very genuine!

blac.sapphic said...

...you know, I might have to give Gold Watch another chance.
The first time I heard it I was like WTF!!! ...couldn't handle the repetitive sample ....drove me nuts and I wanted to turn it off immediately. It was almost like I couldn't hear anything else and was reduced to waiting 'til it stopped to actually catch the content. Unfortunately, it didn't stop ...and I've never, EVER played it again.

Thanks for commenting!!!

paul said...

Nikki Jean who? That video was the shit and I LOVE that song!!! I need to check out her music